BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Limiting Ourselves to What We Do Know--a brief summary of the book of Job


Today, I write to you and myself as I have been thoroughly challenged by the book of Job in my devotional studies. This book is an amazing challenge to believers today and I believe it has always been there to challenge God's people of all ages. If I had to sum up the book of Job in one point, I would say, "Only God knows everything." I say this because we find Satan coming to God and God showing a favorable opinion of Job--and Satan declares that Job would no longer praise God if God didn't put a hedge of protection around all that Job had. A long story short, Job lost his children, possessions, esteem, as well as being covered in boils and in complete bewilderment. This biblical account is very interesting because his three friends come to him, making assertions about God and how God works and they basically read the situation through the lens of their opinion, as God-focused as it may seem. It honestly seems to me that this story is recorded in many ways and so many chapters are given to these responses, as well as Job's replies to those responses, because the people of God always take what they have learned of God and begin to go beyond their boundaries. We see something, even like the World Trade Center bombing, and many will say, "This is God's judgment on America for their sin." Has God written that in the sky? Has He shown that in His word? Now, I know that God has used this to draw people to Himself and to cause people to think. But who very truly knows the mind of God? We only know what's been revealed, and yet I find that even I can so quickly read a situation and feel that I know what God is doing and such. I am a 4-point Calvinist, and even on that I have now begun to question being nearly as adamant, not because I don't think I see God's sovereignty in the Bible, but because I don't fully understand what that means in relation to God. I can't fully explain the workings of God; I can see things being taught in Scripture, but I have to be careful not to think that I've fully figured anything out when it comes to the depths of God. No human does. So, I ask you, what would your response be, should you have been one of Job's friends? You see this person who's losing everything and their life looks to be in shambles--would you think that they were doing something wrong? How could you possibly know that God was well-pleased with someone and was allowing tribulation into their lives for their benefit and His glorification by allowing Satan permission to throw trials into their lives? How do you know what's going on in the spiritual world? You don't. What Job's friends did has been repeated so many times over and even today, whatever day you may find yourself reading this, it will be happening. So hear out Job's words at the end of the book of Job, as well as God's (who stunningly corrected Job and his friends, who all became guilty of reading more into the situation than they knew):

Job 42:1-11

1 Then Job answered the LORD and said: "I know that You can do everything, And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You. You asked,`Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said,`I will question you, and you shall answer Me.' "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes." And so it was, after the LORD had spoken these words to Job, that the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has. "Now therefore, take for yourselves seven bulls and seven rams, go to My servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and My servant Job shall pray for you. For I will accept him, lest I deal with you according to your folly; because you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has." So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did as the LORD commanded them; for the LORD had accepted Job. And the LORD restored Job's losses when he prayed for his friends. Indeed the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.

And yet some more verses for your thoughts:

Romans 11:33-34

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! "For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?"

Isaiah 55:8-9

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Psa 92:5

O LORD, how great are Your works! Your thoughts are very deep.

So 1) pray, 2) read the Bible, and 3) never jump to conclusions, especially about the workings of God. Just trust that He knows what He's doing and will not lead you in paths He will not be with you in.

0 comments: